Thursday, May 31, 2012

Attitude of Prayer

I must confess, my "water" alarm clock failed me today and when the real alarm went off, I took far too much advantage of the snooze button. Faithfulness does not happen overnight!

I am continuing in I Peter, reading Chapter 5; what I am reflecting upon most today is how challenging a true attitude of prayer can be to maintain while I am developing my prayer muscles and choosing to begin my day in prayer.

Yesterday, my prayer time was dry and mechanical. I had the list, I prayed through the list, and spent considerable time choosing to be silent before the Lord, but there certainly were no positive consequences of my having chosen to pray. Perhaps I have unacknowledged expectations rather than dearly held hopes; or God is allowing a variety of experiences to allow me to be strengthened where I am weakest. Regardless, when I take time to focus on God, I am blessed. How that blessing is delivered or experienced is not important.

So, considering the above, here is what I am taking from I Peter 5 today: "8Most importantly, be disciplined and stay on guard. Your enemy the devil is prowling around outside like a roaring lion, just waiting and hoping for the chance to devour someone. 9Resist him and be strong in your faith, knowing that your brothers and sisters throughout the world are fellow sufferers with you."
Nelson, Thomas (2008-10-28). The Voice: New Testament (with book and chapter navigation) (Kindle Locations 13899-13900). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment