Monday, June 4, 2012

Where is my focus?

II Peter 1: 3-4 "3 His divine power has given us everything we need to experience life and to reflect God’s true nature through the knowledge of the One who called us by His glory and virtue. 4 Through these things, we have received God’s great and valuable promises, so we might escape the corruption of worldly desires and share in the divine nature."
Nelson, Thomas (2008-10-28). The Voice: New Testament (with book and chapter navigation) (Kindle Locations 13931-13933). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

It seems that there is much to glean from this simple passage, but it requires quiet reflection to hear the voice of the one who would have me lay aside the corruption that has become so familiar that I am unaware of the control it has over my life.

God has given me everything I need; the example of Jesus who struggled every day with temptations as he was as human as I am. The lesson of Peter who stepped out of the boat and started to walk out to Jesus. If he had kept his eyes on the author and perfector of our faith, Peter would have been as dry and comfortable as Jesus remained when they clambered back into the boat. The lesson of Paul to sang in his chains; the lesson of Jesus as he hung on the cross; the lesson of Mary who failed to recognize the risen Jesus until he called her attention to himself...I have everything I need to reflect God back to all He brings into my path, if I will only keep my mind, my heart, my spirit focused on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment