Friday, June 8, 2012

Choosing God's Path

I've been meditating quite a bit on some words of Paul's in II Corinthians, specifically Chapter 12:9-10. Paul starts the passage reflecting on the "thorn in the flesh" that he notes he has asked God to remove three times, a request that is consistently denied. Verse 9 starts with God's response to his final prayer request (to be rid of the annoyance) “My grace is enough to cover and sustain you. My power is made perfect in weakness.”
Nelson, Thomas (2008-10-28). The Voice: New Testament (with book and chapter navigation) (Kindle Locations 11255-11256). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. .

There are so many things I am struggling with right now.
  1. Our youngest son and his family leave in less than 10 days for their new lives as missionaries in Nicaragua
  2. Finishing up my Master's program (and my last statistics class)
  3. Faithfully growing where I am planted, when the truth is I want to be somewhere other than where we are right now (3+ hours from our children and grandchildren).
  4. Accepting that I need to get serious about finding a church home; it is not enough to serve as a volunteer at the local hospital on Sunday's. I need to be making a difference and I need to be in a place where I am being spiritually fed and challenged
  5. The frustratingly chaotic state of our home and yard. There is so much to do, but nothing will get done without faithfulness and consistency!!!
 Moving on in the passage, Paul continues with, "10I am at peace and even take pleasure in any weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and afflictions for the sake of our Liberating King because when I am at my weakest, He makes me strong."
Nelson, Thomas (2008-10-28). The Voice: New Testament (with book and chapter navigation) (Kindle Locations 11257-11259). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

More traditional translations conclude with the familiar "For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Father in heaven, holy is your name. Let you kingdom come and your will be done in my life just as it is in heaven. Grant me just enough to sustain me physically...teach me to be content so that I am not always wandering around looking for something and wind up eating because I don't know what I want. Deliver me from evil, make me more sensitive every day to your Holy Spirit that you may guide my thoughts and actions, thus making me more aware of when I am being tempted. Forgive me Lord when I sin against you, and remind me that it is I who chooses whether your forgiveness will be complete or if it will have strings, because you forgive as I forgive others who sinned against me, deliberately or unknowningly.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment