Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Being a Resident Alien

As our youngest son and his family set off on their jouney to become Resident Aliens in Nicaragua, I find myself pondering on the words of Peter:

"11Beloved, remember you don’t belong in this world. You are resident aliens, living in exile, so resist those desires of the flesh that battle against the soul. 12Live honorably among the outsiders so that, even when some may be inclined to call you criminals, when they see your good works, they might give glory to God when He returns in judgment."
1 Peter 2: 11-12 Nelson, Thomas (2008-10-28). The Voice: New Testament (with book and chapter navigation) (Kindle Locations 13787-13789). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

Accordingly, I am also a resident alien, living in this natural world with a spiritual world-view that is often incompatible with the expectations of others. It makes me different in some ways, but in many other ways, I am just the same. I am broken, when I pay attention I am battling against a willful nature that wants what it wants when it wants it, when I am NOT paying attention, I am giving in to that willful nature which keeps working on repairing and fortifying a wall between others (including God) and me. Like the people of Jericho.

I want to be like Rahab: seeking, obedient, wanting more than what the world says is tasty and desireable. I want to make a difference in someone's life, I want to bloom where God is planting me today, even though my heart is fixed on our grandchildren and I want to be a significant, positive, effect in all their lives, though they are spread from Oregon to Texas to Managua, Nicaragua.

Being a resident alien also means that I am not where my family is...I am apart, distant, away. My influence on their lives is limited. Do I yearn to be somewhere else? Or do I yearn to look to my Father and follow his will for my life? The choice is obviously mine. It's not always easy to choose for God, just as it was not easy for Jesus.

Jesus, be my model, be my guide, teach me how to be an effective resident alien and serve your kingdom as our Father directs.

No comments:

Post a Comment