Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Weakness and suffering

Strange that I would randomly choose a book and chapter from the New Testament and find myself again reading about suffering and weakness. It seems that this is the message God is trying to get through my thick skull...that my weakness is not a bad thing; my mourning over the loss of the company, companionship, and blessing of our youngest son's family as they move to a foreign country to serve our God as missionaries is normal and natural.

From Romans 5:1-5 "1Since we have been acquitted and made right through faith, we are able to experience true and lasting peace with God through our Lord Jesus, the Liberating King. 2Jesus leads us into a place of radical grace where we are able to celebrate the hope of experiencing God’s glory. 3And that’s not all. We also celebrate in seasons of suffering because we know that when we suffer we develop endurance, 4which shapes our characters. When our characters are refined, we learn what it means to hope and anticipate God’s goodness. 5And hope will never fail to satisfy our deepest need because the Holy Spirit that was given to us has flooded our hearts with God’s love."
Nelson, Thomas (2008-10-28). The Voice: New Testament (with book and chapter navigation) (Kindle Locations 9621-9626). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

Paul goes on to talk about Jesus, the Liberator, dying at the right time for me, weak and powerless and far from God as I am. That though I persist in wasting my life in my sin, "God revealed His powerful love to us in a tangible display—the Liberating King died for us." (Romans 5:8)
Nelson, Thomas (2008-10-28). The Voice: New Testament (with book and chapter navigation) (Kindle Location 9629). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

I have just finished Beth Guckenberger's book Reckless Faith, which was mined from her jounal kept during the teen years, early years of her marriage and as a missionary to orphans in Mexico. It is both comforting and challenging. I find myself wondering about her mother (she reveals in the book that her Dad died of cancer a few years after her wedding); how is she doing with her daugher, son-in-law, and nine grandchildren living so many miles and worlds away from the familiar Midwest? Does she struggle with fear, especially now as the cartels gain more power in Mexico and dispose of any who might oppose them. Does she, like Meme in Beth's book, (p.199) want to advise her daughter's family to give up mission work for a season?

Jesus keep me faithful in my weakness and my mourning. Bless the tears that flow so freely. I am so grateful that they are not tears of anger, or bitterness, but are tears of mourning and therefore I can leave them at the alter as a thank offering for your goodness and your plan for our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment